It has been a rather rough week for GameKiller, and I am sure most of you would agree after being locked out of the forum for over 3 days. This ordeal all started with us being targeted by DDoS attacks on Monday. Our filter was not able to handle the intensity of the attack and thus the site was knocked offline. I immediately requested assistance from my data center after finding out what was going on.
Our data center is located in Russia so our time zone is very far apart. I believe they are 10 hours ahead of my time, so in order for me to receive support on the spot, I needed to be awake during mid night (3 AM - 6 AM). And that's exactly what I've had to do for the past 3 days and most likely tonight as well. Although, the data center does have several support engineers online 24 /7 but they are not allowed to touch any of the hardware which doesn't help with my case. All the hardware engineers are off their shift by the time I wake up.
On Monday midnight, I explained the entire situation to my data center and they agreed to enhance the filter. I went to bed before the upgrade was successfully applied. Woke up the next morning to a DNS issue which was rather strange.
On the midnight of Tuesday and Wednesday, I asked them to investigate the DNS (domain name server) issue. They did some investigation on it and informed that it had nothing to do with the filter and that it could very well be server sided. That was rather hard for me to accept since it only started happening after the filter was applied. I emphasized that the issue only started happening after the upgrade several times and requested that they conduct further investigation on the issue. After that, I received the same answer. At this point, I am very stumped and have no idea what could be wrong.
Micheal (our server admin) confirmed multiple times that all settings on the server are configured correctly. This morning at around 6:20 AM, we noticed that serveral other domains that are connected with the same name server are resolving properly. Only gamekiller.net was not, that prompted me to phone my domain registrar but had to wait 4 hours since their phone support doesn't open till then. It did not cross my mind for a second that the domain would be put on hold (this is the first time it has ever happened, talk about a coincidence) but that was exactly the case. I phoned them and got the domain unlocked immediately within a few minutes into the call. What bothered me the most is that I wasn't notified in regards to the hold at all.
Anyways, there's your update. I hope to get the forum back into it's stable state again. Just know that we are trying our best and so is our data center.