Building a gaming PC. Need critiques/criticism.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat & Community Discussion' started by [TGKC] SeanWithACapitalS, Feb 28, 2018.

Discuss Building a gaming PC. Need critiques/criticism. in the Chit-Chat & Community Discussion area at GameKiller.net

1. [TGKC] SeanWithACapitalS

[TGKC] SeanWithACapitalS Canada Ayy lmao

Stats
    Hey guys, made a good sale recently and part of my commission I want to put towards building a good gaming PC. I've made up a list and I've posted the link below, looking for recommendations or any changes I should make to the build, still unsure on the case and if I should add on any case fans to the PC. Aesthetics aren't a huge issue for me, won't be putting in LED lights or any of that shite, but my budget is around $2,000-2,500. Purely for gaming and home leisure, won't be doing any editing or streaming.

Cheers.

Mr. Ad Advertisement

2. sQdEuz

sQdEuz United States Lurker

Stats
    thats a good gfx card you picked out.
    i bought a 240 and it even worked well for how small of a gb.

3. Epic

Epic United States 回到過去

Stats
    What kind of games will you be playing dude? I notice you picked out a 144hz monitor, but I doubt a 1060 will be able to hit those frame rates easily.

RAM sticks you picked out are a bit overpriced. I was able to find 16 GB of ram for about (USD). For a little over $200, you could probably get yourself one of those g.skill 16gb RGB ram sticks.

Case is a bit overpriced as well. Have you looked into ? My undergrad housemate had one and it looked pretty nice.

Mobo is nice, costly, but I'd probably shell out $200 for RGB as well. Closed loop liquid CPU coolers come with a radiator; I bought and put case fans on top of the outtake side to help push the hot air out. Dunno if it was necessary or not, but the option is there.

(Could save yourself $100 by torrenting windows 10).

4. NexonCo

NexonCo United States Verified Seller (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿) Premium

Stats
    A 1060 will run most competitive games 144FPS (CSGO, OW, LoL). Triple A games probably not.

5. [TGKC] SeanWithACapitalS

Stats
    Mostly older games. I play a lot of league right now but I want to try kingdom come deliverance and Destiny 2, maybe even Shadow of Mordor 2.

Is this the same RAM? (I'm in Canada cant get the ones you have on amazon.com

I haven't really thought about glass cases, I've always been confused about cases. I'd like a full tower because it would be my first time building one and id like space and I've heard people have difficulty with cable management and sometimes fitting parts in a mid tower.

Want to spend a bit on the mobo since imo i don't want to get a cheap one. Don't know what you mean by RGB? I haven't got any case fans yet wasn't sure if i needed one or not and was more so going to look at it once I decided on a case.

I thought of torrenting Windows 10 but don't want to go through the hassle of cracking it and having to worry about it not being genuine down the road. The first time I'd actually be buying and OS lmao.

6. newlionman

newlionman United States Premium Premium

Stats
    You can just use unactivated windows and save that money. You'll just have a slight watermark on the bottom right of your screen, but basically all the other features will be the same. Later on if you want, you can still activate windows by getting a key.

7. NexonCo

NexonCo United States Verified Seller (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿) Premium

Stats
    The cheapest/easiest solution is to just buy an OEM key from kinguin, they cost $30. Just know with an OEM the key will be tied to your mother board so you won't be able to use it on other systems in the future.

8. danktrash123

danktrash123 United States The New Guy

Stats
    There's a subreddit that sells Windows keys for cheap, and if you're a student, you should probably have a free Windows key at your disposal.
    Aside from the stupidly expensive graphics card (unless I'm not seeing it right, a 1060 should not cost $500), I think you're all set

9. Epic

Epic United States 回到過去

Stats
    Alright, sure. That 1060 will be fine then. (Price is inflated rn b/c of bitcoin miners hoarding a ton of cards).

Holy fuck dude LOL. I just checked the canadian sites for both amazon and newegg, seems that they don't sell the $130-150 ram there. Shit man, might as well for for RGB ram sticks for an extra $30.

RGB= The parts have LED lights in them which can be configured to a solid color or set to spiral rainbow. That mobo is more expensive because it has lights in it.

I wouldn't decide on mid tower over full tower just because of cable management worries, a mid tower should be fairly do-able even for a beginner. I recently built a mini ITX rig and it wasn't too bad. But it's up to you as there are benefits to full tower cases over mid towers and vice versa, I'm sure.

10. [TGKC] SeanWithACapitalS

Stats
    That ram is still nearly $500 CAD lmao, i don't want to go more than 300 for RAM.

Yea i have to have a better look at cases, still undecided on mid vs full tower. how many case fans would you say i'd need to put in? It gets hot in my room in the summer mainly cause my AC vent gets the least circulation in the house im in.

11. Epic

Epic United States 回到過去

Stats
    Rip.

Are you more concerned about the inner temps of your comp or the ambient room temperature? Idk if I'm just shitting out of my ass or not, but fans don't seem to have a large effect on your room's ambient temps. They're just going to make the airflow better, but the fans are still taking in air from your room and pushing out air heated by your comp's inner components.
    I got top panel fans but I don't think they reduce my comp's temps that much.

12. Nietzsche

Nietzsche United States Боже, форум храни!

Stats
    That's not how thermodynamics works.

vSharpies likes this.
  13. Raigeki

Raigeki United States ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium

Stats
    if it’s strictly for gaming, you can use the new i3. there’s no need for more than 4 cores. spend the extra on a better gpu or something else.

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche United States Боже, форум храни!

Stats

I took a crack at a $2500 PC.

Your build as-is isn't bad, but there are a couple things I would change.
    First and foremost, ditch the 2.5" SSD and go M.2. M.2 is a better, faster interface. While the drives themselves are more expensive, I think they're worth it. I think that you're going to have a difficult time filling a 250GB SSD critical application / boot drive and that 500GB is excessive; save the big stuff for the 3.5" HDD.
    Secondly, if you're looking to save a few bucks, you can get a legit Windows key off of Kinguin. $30 vs $110.
    Thirdly, with processor TDPs of less than 95W nowadays, I wouldn't bother with water cooling unless you want to push your processor to the brink / have a fetish for water. For strictly gaming, get a Hyper 212 EVO / 212X and don't think twice about it.
    Fourthly... you have to realize that just because an ATX tower is called "mid-sized" doesn't really mean it's mid-sized. My "mid-sized" Cooler Master tower is probably 9"x18"x16", aka a fuckton of room for activities. A full sized tower is roughly the size of the 2001: A Space Odyssey obelisk and made for, like, serious rigs that need some insane power for video rendering or trying to thermodynamically model ligand binding to simple proteins for a nanosecond. My mATX rig could comfortable do two video cards, a wifi card, four sticks of ram, a fairly beefy cooler, five fans, and still have plenty of room to play hopscotch in.

One positive thing I have to say about your rig is that you chose a good power supply. Don't cheap out on power supplies. Not only do you want them to run reliably for years while caked in dust because you neglect them (you sick fuck), you want them to fail reliably as well, and this is rather underlooked. Not only do nice power supplies run better, they fail better and generally don't take the rest of the system down with them.

Anyways, get yourself a nice monitor, a nice keyboard, a nice mouse, a nice mouse pad (this is underrated and very important for use IMO), and a nice M.2 SSD, and a nice pair of headphones. These are the components that you're going to be actively "noticing" and often get pushed to the side when doing these esoteric builds.

ShinGouki likes this.
  15. Hyporos

Hyporos Canada ⧸⎛Trusted Seller⎞⧹ Premium

Stats
    wait for volta

16. xoxlol

xoxlol Canada Premium Premium

Stats
    Jfc your account scared the living Sh*t out of me dude.