I'm running windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'PC Support' started by kidk13, Jan 5, 2014.

1. kidk13

kidk13 United States Elite Hacker

Stats
    So I'm running windows 7 64 bit

Unfortunately for me I have a problem..

I ALWAYS seem to end up with 60-70% physical memory after a few months

My pc has 460 gigs on it.. And i bought the pc with a ton of stuff so it totaled up to 1450 usd I believe

it also came with an auto back up so when I reformat everything I need is there...

I THOUGHT I had a great deal on this pc and i'm not sure if it was worth it or not.

So far I have used only half of the Gigs... Running 60-70% physical memory just by going afk on my computer after playing a game and closing it.

The question I have is, is there anyway I can significantly reduce this? I was thinking going with windows 8 but I hear its not very good...

Or maybe if I use a usb drive for games.. Would the physical memory still be super high if I run it through a usb?

For example: Running elx vip, I know a guy who had 12 clients up on his cpu.. he managed 82%

The max clients I can run without my computer having a nervous break down and shitting itself is 3 clients...

This is extremely aggravating..

can anyone help me with this? I'll try almost anything! PLEASE!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

Mr. Ad Advertisement

2. Nietzsche

Nietzsche United States Боже, форум храни!

Stats
    We're back to illegible colors, eh?

A 460 gigabyte harddrive honestly isn't that big, but harddrive space has nothing to do with your ability to run games. You either don't have a lot of RAM (or good RAM), or your processor is weak.

3. kidk13

Stats
    How much is a decent ram? and i dont know to much about my "processor" :/

4. Nietzsche

Stats

Screenshots and/or the text file of information that provides you, please.

5. DougieWuggie

DougieWuggie United States Prominent Hacker

Stats
    Go to the start menu. In the search bar type in dxdiag. Click yes when prompted. All system specs will be listed. Post what you got for both your RAM & processor. It's more than likely your RAM, which means either upgrade your RAM, or downgrade your OS.

6. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    Hard Drive Space nothing to do with your not being able to run games.
    Hard Drive Memory and Physical Memory are two Completely different things.
    Average amount of Physical Memory, also known as RAM(Random access memory) is 8GB.
    Do what Nietzsche said with the screenshots with the speccy program so we can further analyze the possible obstacles you're running into.
    Also what does it say for your Processor. It's to the bottom left of the Memory in the image shown below.
    [​IMG]

None of those options will help. Don't even waste your time with the USB option.

Your physical memory is used by applications that are open/running. Most of which are probably running in the background without your notice.
    If you open the Task Manager and go to the Processes tab, you will see what applications are running in the foreground as well as the background. In the same tab there's a Memory category. That's the amount of Physical Memory each application is using.

Playing games requires CPU/Proccessing power and RAM/Physical Memory. Most games will run perfectly well with 8GBs of RAM. The CPU depends on the game though.
    [​IMG]

7. kidk13

Stats
    [​IMG]

This is my computer I guess. ',:l

So I don't really eed to buy anything? Is My computer just outdated? I've had it for quite some time now..

I got it at 11 I think. My parents just went out and got me a expensive cpu.. Now i'm almost 15 so again.. I'm not sure if it needs an upgrade or not.

8. Lethargy

Lethargy United States Elite Hacker

Stats
    LOOOL. You do realize computers go out of date pretty quick, right? Your dell desktop is pretty shitty, and it's only about 300 dollars online. Get an upgrade if you can afford one.

9. kidk13

Stats
    Thanks... Easy to tell why you get banned every 3 days.

Anywho sadly I can't. parents can though. :whoo:

But id rather not jump into there wallets so soon. I've got a perfectly fine cpu right here. it just needs a little buff I'm hoping i could get help with.

10. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    Okay so 4GB of RAM isn't much by today's standards. So that is a problem. You may or may not be able to slap on another 4gb, depends on the motherboard slots.
    But the Bigger problem, that's most likely effecting your gaming and overall performance is the CPU. It's old and outdated by generations.

You can't update that CPU to anything modern, you'll end up needing a new Motherboard.
    You can't slap on a Graphics card, you'll need a new motherboard and Power supply.
    You're best bet is to either build a new computer or buy one already made.

If you have the money, buy/build a new computer. Upgrading this just isn't worth it imo.
    Your CPU is outdated, you don't even have a Graphics card.

Spec sheet for anyone interested. Dell Inspiron 560

@Nietzsche what's your take master?

11. kidk13

Stats
    The link, is it a computer your recommending or??

Oh wait.. Nope you're recommending.. Were is the price? XD as long as it doesnt exceed over 1.5k i'm good

12. Nietzsche

Stats
    Most games will run absolutely fine on 4 gigs of RAM :P

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, the good ol' days of Socket 775. Good times. 'Twas a good socket and interesting couple of years.

13. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats

I'm not recommending it....
    That's your computer. I left the link there for anyone that wants to make a quick reference to your computer so they can leave advice for you.

If you have a budget for a new computer, tell us. We can give recommendations
    Tell us what you mainly use your computer for and your budget.

14. Nietzsche

Stats
    The processor is about $20, a motherboard about $60 (give or take), and the other bits and pieces don't add up to much. Probably less than $300, but I don't know his graphics solution :P

15. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    Honestly i've never used 4gbs of ram, but seeing as how just my Chrome uses 2gbs, I can't see 4gbs most modern games too well.
    Of course they can though.

- - - Updated - - -

Integrated. http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-560-p/4507-3118_7-34837705.html

16. kidk13

Stats
    Oh lol... i just looked to the right and noticed my computer has the little inspiron 560 tag.

Anyways.. All I do on my pc is play games. I just want the ultimate gaming computer for under 1.5k

My friend the guy who can run 12 elsword clients in 1... He got his computer for 300 dollars. and it has 2 tera bites ._.

The graphics are amazing and the speed is ridiculously high.. But he bought it from someone apparently.

Do you have any suggestions for something that good at lowest price? the lower the price the more my parents are interested ofc.

17. DougieWuggie

Stats
    He has a graphics card. I have no idea what made you think he doesn't have one. His computer AT LEAST has an integrated graphics card, probably built into the motherboard. Also, 4GB is plenty of RAM for what he's using it for. That being said, I do agree it's not worth upgrading any hardware at this point.

@kidk13 Check your start-up and see what programs you have set to run on start-up. A lot of programs you install will have an option to automatically open on start-up. Also, when going AFK do you leave programs running? Close the programs when you go AFK, unless it's for a short period of time & allow your computer to hibernate if you plan on leaving for 15+ minutes.

18. kidk13

Stats
    Kinda sucks though. I went from a computer worth over a thousand to less than 300. tough lol

19. DougieWuggie

Stats
    Build build build BUILD a PC if you plan on using it for gaming. Never buy a PC from someone, especially if you don't know a damn thing about computers. You'll wind up buying another PC with outdated hardware, and you'll be stuck in the same position.

A lot of us on GK have experience with building computers. Give us a budget, and we'll go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the price you pay for buying a PC instead of building one, champ.

20. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    1.5k and you can build a hefty gaming computer.
    But do you want to build it or buy it?

Okay I should have been more specific. He doesn't have a dedicated GPU. If he's using 60%-70% of his RAM while on Idle, then he's not going to be doing much gaming, but yes 4gbs of RAM can run games.