My laptop starts lagging extremely hard (fps wise) after a while of playing League (or anything else

Discussion in 'PC Support' started by Tropical, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Tropical

Tropical Israel Elite Hacker

Stats
    I usually play league of legends in my free time with some friends, and lately, I get extreme fps drops after 10 minutes in-game.

I start the game with a constant 60-90 FPS and around the 10th-13th minute, it goes down to like 10 FPS and stays there until i restart my computer.

Why is this happening all of the sudden? what can i do to fix this?

Mr. Ad Advertisement

2. Nietzsche

Nietzsche United States Боже, форум храни!

Stats
    Anything from stuff running in the background to thermal throttling could be happening.

3. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    Go to your start menu type in "msconfig" on the search bar and then go to "Startup"
    Check what programs are there that you don't need. Those are all programs that start when you boot your computer and log in.
    You can also go to the "Services" tab and check for stuff there but most of those things are needed.

4. Tropical

Stats
    I did it, and disabled some things that I don't need, but still, after playing for about 10-20 minutes, i get massive fps drops and lag :/

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, maybe this'll help someone who can tell me what the problem is,

in more clear words than stated in my first post, after I restart my computer, (even just going sleep mode and back on) my fps goes back to normal :/

5. steve2300

steve2300 United States Fanatic Hacker

Stats
    It could be that ur computer Is overheating. Like in the first couple min u dont lag cuz itd just heating up but around 10 to 20min in ur laptop is already super heated and on top of that 10 to 20mins is when laning phase ends and starts team fights do that can be another factor. Make sure u are playing on lowest setting or at least the effects

6. Tropical

Stats
    right at the beginning, (3-4min) i have 160 fps. (this is all on lowest quality and no shadow)

After 5-7 min, 60 fps

at 10+ it goes down to 10 and only drops from there...

If anybody can find a video for me online, on how to clean a dell studio 1558, something which for some reason i havn't been able to find... or possibly some other way in which i can get my pc to stop overheating so damn quickly, i'd really appreciate it

7. Emeraldsr

Emeraldsr Informed Hacker

Stats
    The laptop is the problem.. laptops especially the low specs one are not recommended for LoL :D I have a laptop which has high specs but after a while in the game (about 10-20mins) my laptops suddenly shuts down because of the Laptop overheating.
    Try sending your laptop to a repair shop and let them clean it's fan so that the laptop will not overheat often. I recommend using external fans too to improve the cooling of the processor or play in a cool place.

8. Tropical

Stats
    I understand that, but when I play on lowest graphics, I get 160 fps at the start, and it stays there for 3~ minutes.

I used to have a constant 160 fps throughout the game on lowest graphics... but only recently this started happening

9. Emeraldsr

Stats
    Try cleaning the fan of the laptop most of the time when laptops get used it gets dust inside it's fans resulting overheat or slow processing of the programs. Try closing ALL other unneeded programs such as messengers, closeable anti-viruses (e.g. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware), and browsers to improve the speed. If you're using rocketdock, please close it :D

10. Tropical

Stats
    Sorry for being a noob, but how exactly should I clean my fan without ruining the rest of my computer?

(Dell Studio 1558)

11. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    I suggest you first just get a Pressured Air Can and spray the air in the fan Intake and Exhaust first to see if that helps.

If it doesn't then go to the disassembly.

Have a baggy for every type of screw that comes out.
    I'd record myself if I were you. Easier to back track.
    Know the basics of electricity so you don't short circuit anything.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  12. Emeraldsr

Stats
    Either let a repair shop clean the fan for you or disassemble the laptop as suggested by @AdKuro