The "I Know C/C++ But What's Next?" Guide

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Source Codes' started by TheNullz, Mar 24, 2010.

1. TheNullz

TheNullz Godly Hacker

Stats
    [​IMG]

*** This is a re-post of my reply to another thread. I personally upload about 80MB of E-books and PDF files that are linked to in that post; and I figured it'd be helpful to everyone to have the links to them, as well as this kind of guide to what is needed to truly hack games.

So, if you're going to take your skills with C/C++ and use them to "hack", you're going to need to do several things first:

• Re-visit your understanding of pointers. Most people who know C/C++ think that they know pointers. When in truth, they most likely only have a brief grasp of the concept. Pointer are a gateway to accessing some of the true power given to you when you write in a compiled language. Make sure you understand aliasing, allocation, and de-referencing.
    • Familiarize yourself with the section of the MSDN library. Since hacking often involves a lot of system calls for either their use, or hooking, it is important that you understand those functions and their parameters.
    • Understand network programming, kinda. In the context of game hacking, you will almost never actually need to use the base-level network library for the system, because the game will have it own functions for sending and receiving network data. In that case, all you need to understand is that a packet is simply a structure. Simple as that. (The same applies to actual network programming, but that get's a little more complex than that).
    • Gain an understanding (not mastery) of Assembly. Assembly (or ASM) is usually referred to as if it were one unified language ~ It's not. ASM is actually just a language that is used to give representation to the raw processor instructions used by the machine. An assembler is a program that takes that textual representation and transcribes it into byte-code.

Since C/C++ is eventually compiled into ASM before making it's final transliteration into bytecode and lets you code in ASM inline, it is important that you understand the ASM that is involved in making functions, accessing pointers and and memory, and making system calls. The actually syntax of your ASM will vary depending on your compiler (some use ATT style others use Intel rules) but the fundamentals remain the same. This particular aspect of hacking is usually very intimidating to people, but its really nothing to fear. ASM is the most basic level of programming, its only complexity is that it is so basic, lol.
    • Re-visit your understanding of functions. This ties in with your understanding of ASM. You should become intimately familiar with all the parts of function that are not visible to you initially in your code. This includes things like its prologue, epilogue, calling convention, mangled name, and location. Why? Because you will sometimes have to combine that knowledge with your knowledge of assembly in order to manipulate your function calls.
    • Better understand the executable. Really think about what you know about executable binary data. Most likely, you know nothing really about it. It's not a requirement, but it can only help you if you understand what format executable are in on your system (PE/COFF on Windows), how they are loaded into memory, and how their instructions are executed by the system.
    • Get to know your victim. Learn as much as possible about the program you're going to hack. That includes learning about any programs that it spawns, uses, or interfaces with. In the case of MapleStory, that would mean learning about , , and .

What tool will I need?

What tools you'll need vary based on what exactly you need to do, and in the case of MapleSory, many of the tools below cannot be run at the same time as the game client unless you have a bypass that completely placates HackShield.

• ( )
    • [WZ Editor] ( )
    • [Debugger/Disassembler] ( )
    • [Debugger/Disassembler] ( )
    • [Compiler] ( ).
    • [.NET Decompiler] ( )

Links

Forums

Books

Assembly

Network Programming

General

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
    stdstdnt, toritokev and yareyaredaze like this.

Mr. Ad Advertisement

2. Muse

Muse United States Fanatic Hacker

Stats
    Thanks a lot for this! I was always wondering how you went beyond C++ to hacking.

3. fatb

fatb Informed Hacker

Stats
    I was wondering the same thing thx

4. Hekz

Hekz Lurker

Stats
    As of right now I'm learning to code in C (Doing Win32 EXE). My goal is to take my skills further and learn how to hack maplestory. I came here to learn and to share my current knowledge of all the languages I know. As of right now, you (The Nu||z) are my hero.

5. peper12

peper12 Lurker

Stats
    great tutorial

6. Megumi Shimizu

Megumi Shimizu The New Guy

Stats
    This is clearly explained, thank you for your contribution.

7. Bountymage

Bountymage The New Guy

Stats
    Nice tut

thanks

8. -Oreo

-Oreo Lurker

Stats
    Very nice tutorial, Thanks. +1

9. Majorfails

Majorfails Bahamas Veteran Hacker

Stats
    nice guide
    my professor is stingy with extra learning material so those links will help alot
    Write Great Code - Understanding The Machine and Reverse Engineering Of Object-Oriented Code are broken though

10. DrHOAX

DrHOAX Renown Hacker

Stats
    This looks awesome. Gonna have to look into this once I get home from work.

11. Marc66

Marc66 Guest

Stats
    Wow Thanks very nice tuto. really really usefull

12. banad

banad Israel Veteran Hacker

Stats
    is there a way to do it in c#?

13. llcashdll

llcashdll Israel Lurker

Stats
    i have suggestions for 3 ebooks u should add here
    one of them is: Exploiting Online Games: Cheating Massively Distributed Systems
    two: Rootkits: Subverting the Windows Kernel - for bypass complex things
    three: add the shellcode handbook

and more 1 thing i almost forgot
    the ebooks"
    Write Great Code - Understanding The Machine
    Reverse Engineering Of Object-Oriented Code
    the file removed from servers

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  14. souravipc53

souravipc53 Banned banned

Stats
  15. keymo

keymo The New Guy

Stats
    majority of ur links are broken Nullz. Please fix.

16. Nedow

Nedow The New Guy

Stats
    Sorry for being obvious, and repeat what "keymo" said; But.. Those links doesn't work for me either.. Can you fix it please? I'm really interested on that info ;)

Anyway, thanks in advance

17. bladeangle

bladeangle Australia Informed Hacker

Stats
    I like how you've summarized everything i'll need and especially the "Know your Victim" part haha, Also do you have anything more on Network programming, starting from more basics to advanced as im not really sure i get it... but thankyou very much for the other stuff ^_^

18. chochang268

chochang268 Lurker

Stats
    Thank you for posting this .It helped :)

19. erictanjunzi

erictanjunzi Lurker

Stats
    good tut keep it up

20. Dureitor

Dureitor Peru Lurker

Stats
    good tutorial