What Is Root and Unlock?

Discussion in 'Tablet' started by Stewie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Stewie

Stewie United States Tron- Lives

Stats
    What is root?
    Root is getting root access to your tablet. Many apps require it, and when you do root your tablet, you can do so much more stuff. Like, set up a firewall so you can block apps from using 3G/4G LTE or Wifi, or block it from using data at all. Also, it is 100% legal.

Does root break my tablet?

I don't understand why people believe it does, but it does not. There is a 0.001% it does, and that is because they end up doing something they shouldn't.

Does root void my warranty?
    You may want to contact your provider for this. In most cases, it does. I know Verizon does. But, for other carriers, it may not. So, before you proceed anymore with thread, you should consult your carrier if it will void your warranty. And yes, tablets can get 3G and 4G. My Motorola Xoom has 3G.
    Now, if something does happen to your tablet, you can simply un-root your tablet and return it.

What is unlocking?

Unlocking your tablet is unlocking its bootloader. By default, it's locked. But, there is a way to unlock it's bootloader.

When your bootloader, you can flash modified themes, flash unofficial ROMs, like CM7, CM9 and MIUI. Depending on your carrier you have, unlocking it might have your warranty voided.. This is also 100% legal. unlike jailbreaking.

Does unlocking my tablet break it?

No. But again, there is that 0.001% that it can break your tablet. And that only happens when you do something, you shouldn't have. Like, flash a ROM that isn't compatible with the version your tablet is, or get it stuck in a bootloop.

Is unlocking it free?
    Yes. Unlocking your tablet is free. There may be one or two that may cost money.

Does unlocking void my warranty?

It might, depending on your carrier. From personal experience with Verizon, it does FOR VERIZON USERS. There may be 1 or 2 carriers that allow it.
    Again, if something does happen to it, then you can simply re-lock it and return it.

If you have any questions related to unlocking or rooting your tablet, PM me. I will answer any and all questions you have.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

Mr. Ad Advertisement

2. Aero

Aero United States Game Killer

Stats
    What are the possibilities of rooting?
    aka

compare rooting to jailbreaking.

Jailbreaking gets you access to more customization like themes, it also allows for around half of the apps which you pay for are now free.

What does rooting give you?

3. Stewie

Stewie United States Tron- Lives

Stats
    Root = Access to your /root folder. So, you can see edit /system files, and anything else in the ROOT of the phone.

Root compared to jailbreak - You don't even need root to customize. Root though, increases the possibilities you can do. Like, change icons, change boot screen, firewall, etc. Another thing is, you don't need root to install paid apps for free.

Root is nothing compared to unlocked bootloader though. With an unlocked bootloader, you can change your ROM and Kernel. Certain ROM's and Kernels for your phone, could increase gaming, battery life, and other things.

Also, I fixed some incorrect things in the OP.

4. scottyarm

scottyarm Lurker

Stats
    i have a samsung tablet (ce0168) tryied to down load one click root.exe and it say cant open file want to use game killer on fast & furious 6 the game need help plz it told me to go to settings then about device tapp 7 times the it opend developer options what do i do next help plz i need the best you guys are the best

5. AdKuro

AdKuro Game Killer

Stats
    Wouldn't rooting void warranty with the manufacturer rather than the Mobile Carrier? I suppose for verizon it would be both because they have their own way of sim card and all.

Oppo motha fuckas, i'm all rooted and still have warranty :D